There are certain situations in a dogs life that are of an emergency nature. Knowing the signs that indicate that something is really wrong with your dog will assist you in securing immediate, life-saving treatment.
Dog Emergency Situations
1. A dog that vomits 5 to 6 times, must be taken to the veterinarian. Something may be lodged tightly in your dogs intestines or stomach. Kidney failure or liver failure may also be the reason for the repeated vomiting.
3. Several episodes of diarrhea are cause for concern. Diarrhea dehydrates a dog quickly if the episodes number 5 to 6.
4. No improvement in severe limping over a period of hours requires a check by the vet. Or, if your dog is not able to one of his legs at all, off to the vet you go.
5. Struggling to breathe is serious. If your dog is gasping for breath again and again, a vet needs to check your dog out. An older dog who has to struggle for each breath he tries to take could have heart failure, pneumonia or laryngeal paralysis.
7. An old dog can become senile gradually. However, a brain tumor can be the cause for a dogs disorientation if it happens pretty quickly. Also, if you notice your dog has suddenly started circling round and round nonstop, or if your dog gets stuck in a corner of the home and just cannot get out of that corner, then a brain tumor may be the cause of that strange behavior.
8. Even just a bump by a car, or any heavy object for that matter, means a trip to the veterinarian in a hurry.
6. Bloat is so serious. A dogs stomach becomes filled with air. Then, the stomach flips over. It actually twists up and forms knots. The dogs stomach looks very inflated with bloat. Also, your dog usually will appear upset, agitated, unable to rest, and may vomit white foam. Emergency surgery is called for with bloat.
10. If your dog no longer wants to do the things with you he once loved, such as refusing to go for that ride in the car, or he does not want you giving him the petting and cuddling he used to crave, then a veterinarian needs to check your dog out.